Thursday, 24 March 2016

Book Review: The Wednesday Letters By Jason F. Wright

I can't even begin to tell you just how in love I am with this book!!

SYNOPSIS:
Their story began with one letter on their wedding night.
"I made a promise today at the church and I'm making another promise tonight. I'm going to write to you every week.. Laurel, I will always stand by you, no matter what.."
It ended almost forty years later, when Jack and Laurel Cooper died in each other's arms. But before he took his last breath, Jack wrote his wife one final "Wednesday letter".

When the Cooper children return home, they discover the thousands of letters left behind. As they read them, clues to a shattering family secret emerge - and they are brought face-to-face with a life-changing moment of truth. 

From Jason F. Wright comes a timeless story of love and forgiveness that will inspire us all to start writing our own "Wednesday letters".


I had no expectations when I started reading this book but gradually it became something that I couldn't put down, and I was determined to complete reading it as the plot thickens and I grew more and more curious.

Before Jack drew his final breath he had Malcolm (one of his sons) in his prayers and I was left wondering as to why this Malcolm is so precious to him. I instantaneously jumped to the conclusion that, Malcolm must probably be the black sheep of the family. He, indeed is, but not in the way that I had expected.

Malcolm had run away to Brazil for two years in search of solace after his childhood sweetheart has decided to break up with him, and also to find inspiration for the book he has been writing and wanting to publish. He never did, even after he found out about the death of his parents and has to return home immediately (talk about adaptation).

It was only when Malcolm and his brother and sister (Matthew and Samantha) peruse through the stacks of Wednesday Letters their dad has written for their mum over the years do they find out about a hidden truth that leaves them speechless.

Now, this is where the climax comes in and has rendered me aghast. If you want to know what it is, then be sure to pick up this book!! I guarantee it will leave you sitting precariously on the edge of your seat, as long as you don't read it by a rooftop, that is.


The Wednesday Letters is definitely a book I want to read again. If you have read my February favourites you would see that I had included this book in it so yes, that just goes to show how much I have enjoyed this read!

What are your thoughts about the book after having read this review? Will you read it?

xoxo,
A.