Tuesday, 16 August 2016

How To Save Money When Shopping | Fashion Blogging On A Budget

Hello everyone. Today's post will be an interesting one.

Maybe some of you might have wondered - how does a fashion blogger actually keep up? How many clothes/shoes/bags/jewellery do they actually own?? How could they afford everything?

Well, to be fair when I first started fashion blogging the same questions pop up in my mind too. So in this post, I am going to cover just that!

Here are 5 tips that I go about in order to maintain fashion blogging:

1. Buy cheap, wear expensive

Most of my clothes are actually of a really decent price. I don't like to buy clothes that are overpriced. So I would always try to find cheaper versions! In Singapore, my favourite haunts are always either Bugis Street or *Scape Underground. The price range of the clothes sold there are usually between $10 to $40. If something is above $50, I try to bargain though, sometimes 😝  but that also depends on what article of clothing it is. For instance, I can't exactly buy a soft padded bomber jacket for merely $20. 

I suppose the stigma around fashion bloggers is that they always buy branded clothing. That is not true, and it also depends on what kind of fashion blogger you are, really. If your personal style is limited to what designer brands offer, then good for you. But if your style is versatile - you can actually make do with literally anything!

And just because your clothes are cheap, it doesn't mean that you're a "cheap person" either. Buy cheap, but wear expensive - style in a way that makes your clothes actually look like they're designer!

I know it's easier said than done but trust me, it would totally work in your favour - and also not burn a hole in your pocket!

2. Thrifting/vintage shopping

Now, another tip that I like to go about is thrift and vintage shopping. Unfortunately, there are not many thrift and vintage stores available in Singapore, but there sure are some I frequent (I would write a whole post on this soon!). Sometimes when my family does visits to our neighbouring country Malaysia, we would thrift! I love thrifting because there are just so many hidden gems you can find sometimes, and what makes me love it more is that every clothing is unique - you probably couldn't find any other person on the street wearing the same thing as you! Buying thrifted and vintage clothes will surely save you money.


3. Selling preloved clothes online

Prior to the second tip. Thrifted and vintage clothes are obviously hand-me-downs. Sometimes I have clothes that I don't wear anymore, so instead of letting them rot in my closet, I sell them! Nowadays there are plenty of online sites and even apps that let you sell your stuff. So make use of them. Not only will your closet finally breathe again but you get ka-ching to continue shopping!

4. Use sites like ShopBack when shopping online

How does the idea of shopping but also getting your money back sound to you? That's what ShopBack does! ShopBack helps you get the best deals and discounts on 300+ stores, plus Cashback. Cashback is really just "getting cash back" - when you spend online through ShopBack, they will give you a portion of your purchase back as Cashback. This would mean extra and unlimited savings for you whenever you shop online. To get started, simply use my referral code here.

5. Buy clothes that you would always wear

On to the final tip which I feel is important - only buy clothes that you can wear time and again, and which that can be mixed and matched with other clothing. If you followed my blog long enough you probably would have noticed that I mention the same pieces of clothing over and over again. That is because - as much as I love buying new clothes - I would always ponder if a certain dress or a pair of shoes would benefit me in the long run. If they don't, then I won't buy them. Of course I could always sell or give away an item if I don't see the need for it anymore, but why would you do that if you know you can actually save the money?



Alright guys that's it for me on my tips on how to save money when shopping/how I fashion blog on a budget!
I apologise if this post seems a little lengthy and too wordy - I was excited to share these tips with you guys and got carried away!
Other than these tips, I also think it would be useful for you to learn how to manage your credit spending. Credit Card Insider could help you with that!

Do you have any personal tips on how to save money in general?
I hope you have enjoyed this post and thanks for reading!

xoxo,
A.