Saturday, 14 January 2017

A Look Back At 2016

As some of you may already know, I recently went on holiday to Bali, Indonesia. But instead of posting a normal travel diary blog post, I thought I'd look back at 2016 while sharing some photos from the trip.


In 2016 I have learned that it's completely okay to keep my circle of friends small. As we fast approach our mid-twenties, having almost any other friend/acquaintance get engaged and/or married, I realise that I can't expect friends to constantly rush to my side anymore. They have bigger responsibilities now, and it's about time I value myself as a person and be more independent. I'm not saying that I have always been a dependent person either, but with this realisation I respect the time I have with myself more. 


I am so blessed and thankful for the friends that have stayed through and never left, though. You guys are the true ones. I was never an extrovert to begin with anyway, I find it really hard to make friends let alone keep them. So I'm going to be content with whoever I have now.


Losing a loved one at the beginning of the year has made me appreciate my family, friends and boyfriend more. I cherish every single moment I have with them as I will never know when they will leave me. 


I've also faced skinny shaming in public for the first time. Although it was a truly traumatic experience for me and it has definitely peaked my anxiety, I am positive about it as I have actually gained some confidence out of it, and have accepted my body for the way it is more. Thanks to that incident, I realise that I really shouldn't give a flying f*ck to anyone who tells me otherwise. My body is my temple and I should never feel guilty about how I choose to portray it with what I wear.


Speaking of which, being confident in my clothes has allowed me to experiment with new and different things such as wigs, black lipstick and so on. When previously I was so shy and scared of everything, I am now a totally different person.


Personally, I feel that what has best shaped me in 2016 was finally gaining independence through travelling. My Bali trip was the first ever trip I had without my parents around. And due to that, of course I made some mistakes here and there, but I am so grateful to have learned them from experience myself. How would I be able to learn without making mistakes in the first place, right? 


I really couldn't be happier than to be able to end my 2016 with a holiday. I am so incredibly thankful for everything that has happened the past year. I have learned a lot of valuable lessons throughout and I am determined to make the best out of them.


I am now prepared to face whatever 2017 has in store for me.



P.S. If you have missed out on my Bali vlogs, you can watch them here:



I hope you have enjoyed this post and thanks for reading ^_^

xoxo,
A.